If we’re talking about comfort foods, a steaming hot bowl of soup often takes the crown. Subway’s broccoli cheddar soup seems to be rising in popularity, but what if you could easily replicate that warmth right in your own home? In this post, we’ll look at how to prepare your very own in the kitchen a hearty bowl of Subway broccoli cheddar soup.
History and Evolution: Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Broccoli Cheddar Soup originates from the United States, attracting popularity by the late 20th century due to its warming flavor-rich essence. The combination of broccoli and cheddar cheese in soup, with a creamy base, has gained popularity across the American food practices.
The development of a new item at Subway, the emergence of the Broccoli Cheddar Soup, has developed as one of the signature items in the menu for patrons that need to have a quick fix for good soup that also fills them up. Subway has also taken its rendition of this classic soup to cater to their customers’ palate by often having a freshly prepared broccoli, high quality cheddar cheese, and giving it thicker, creamier texture. Subway changed it over the years to something that formula is focused towards freshness, quality of ingredients and a uniform taste, this appeals to multiple tastes and preconceived notions of various kinds of customers probably.
Subway’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup finds a home in this typical spin, relying upon the dichotomy of blending classic flavor elements with nutritious ingredients to give it legs amidst the host of contemporary interpretations of this age-old recipe.
Ingredients – Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
The Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe needs a variety of simple but essential ingredients that produce a tasty and filling soup.
1. Broccoli: Fresh broccoli forms the main ingredient that is responsible for the soup’s bright green color and also serves as the healthy base. The firmness of the florets should be such that they are held tightly, while the stalks should be crisp to provide better flavor and texture.
2. Cheddar Cheese: The creamy sauce of this soup has needed to be spicy, so the strong flavorful cheddar cheese will bring about the required strength and savory taste in this soup. Better to use good chili quality cheddar cheese for the required strength as it would help a lot to make this dish tastier.
3. Onions: Onions provide the aromatic and slightly sweet taste in the soup and thus give it a flavor base. They should be finely grated before frying so that their rich flavors may be absorbed by the soup in turn.
4. Carrots: The diced carrots will contribute not only a hint of natural sweetness and color brightness to the soup but also texture as the supposed to be crisp. They would also help in giving balance for an earthy flavor that can come from the broccoli. Fresh vegetables in making soups or stews give both elements that are essential for nutritional benefits.
5. Chicken or Vegetable Broth: The soup is made out of chicken or vegetable broth constituting the liquid foundation to the soup, thus rendering the soup a thick flavor and rich in nature. The choice between chicken or vegetable broth offers the option of making the tailor-made soup, hence suitable for the dietary requirements at hand.
6. Milk or Cream: Milk or cream is a dairy product that is smooth and velvety for which to complement the soup. It also helps reduce the sharp effect of cheese, making its texture creamy and satisfying.
7. Flour: It serves to give the perfect consistency of the required soup with it as a thickening agent. In conjunction with butter, it provides the creaminess by making a roux.
8. Seasoning: A mix of seasonings and spices, with salt, pepper, and maybe a drop of nutmeg, provides the perfect marriage of taste, blending each ingredient without losing the meaty aroma of the broth.
When any such fine ingredients get paired up and treated courteously, they set themselves to create the classic and beloved flavors as in the Subways’ Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
how to cook subway broccoli cheddar soup recipe
Exactly! Below is a step by step guideline identically on how to prepare the Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe:
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
Prepare the ingredients, which involve washing and dicing the broccoli into small pieces or florets, finely dicing the onions, and finely dicing the carrots as well as grating the cheese.
Step 2: Sautéing the Vegetables
Melt butter over medium heat in a big saucepan or Dutch oven. Add chopped onions and carrots, stirring until softened and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes.
Step 3: Create the Roux
Sprinkle the sautéed vegetables with flour and mix well in place to obtain a roux. Stir over the heat for a minute or two, so that the flour does not remain raw but avoid letting it burn as well.
Step 4: Add Broth
Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth slowly, stirring all the while so that no lumps form. Increase the heat of the stove and let this mixture come to a gentle boil before decreasing back to a simmer.
Step 5: Adding the Broccoli
Add florets, and simmer the pot until the florets are tender but still colored green, usually between 15 and 20 minutes.
Step 6: Blend the Mixture
Otherwise, in batches, blend the soup using a blender or an immersion blender until it reaches a smooth puree consistency. Some chunks of broccoli may be left as they add character to the soup.
Step 7: Add the Cheese and Cream
Gradually stir in the grated cheddar cheese as needed and wait for it to melt slowly so that its rich savory flavor can marry into the soup. Add the milk or cream as needed according to your choice of creaminess and keep stirring until they blend well.
Step 8: Seasoning
Into the soup, we add salt, pepper and some other seasoning to taste. You may also add a little bit of nutmeg in case you need more flavoring.
Step 9: Let It Simmer and Serve
Cover the soup and let it simmer into a gentle boil for a few more minutes just to let all the flavors of the ingredients marrying together. After the soup has reached the desired consistency and all the flavors of the incorporated consequence have married, the soup is now ready for serving.
Follow these steps to prepare a tasty and creamy Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup that will wow your family and friends. Enjoy!
Related postChick fil A Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup nutrition
1. Immunity-Boosting Broccoli
Broccoli is a power-packed veggie loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It provides ample amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium that preserve the immune system, bones, and cells.
2. Protein contained in Cheddar Cheese
Content of protein contained in the Cheddar cheese: This is an essential nutrient that helps in muscle building and repair in the human body, among other general functionalities of the body. The cheese also contains the necessary calcium and phosphorus essential in strengthening body bones.
3. Vitamins contained in Carrots and Onions
Carrots and onions are added to enhance the nutritive profile of the soup. Beta-carotene in carrots is a pro-vitamin A and enhances vision and immunity function. Onions contain vitamin C and several antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory as well as an immunity-enhancing effect.
4. Balanced Macronutrients
Aside from milk or cream, the recipe contains healthy fats and extra protein from cheese as well, therefore adding up for a more wholesome macronutrient profile in the soup.
5. Fiber Source- broccoli and vegetables
This will give some dietary fiber from the onions, broccoli, and carrots that are necessary for healthy digestion and maintaining of blood sugar at normal levels, as well as in satiety.
6. Customization for Dietary Needs
This recipe is very flexible, so the ingredients for the soup may be adjusted to fit people’s dietary needs. For example, in the case of someone who is lactose intolerant, one can substitute the dairy milk using some varieties of lactose-free milk or any other alternative for milk, and in the case of vegetarians, instead of chicken broth, he or she will make use of a vegetable broth and avoid using any products which are meat-based.
If prepared well, Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe can become a nutritious fulfilling dish containing the whole load of essential vitamins, minerals, and other necessary components.
Serving Suggestions-Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Certainly! Here are some serving suggestions for Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
1. Bread Bowl: The creamy liquid soft filled inside the round loaf of bread that is hollowed is a classic presentation form and also an exceptionally delightful form to consume soup with the warm piece of bread itself.
2. Crusty Bread or Garlic Bread: This can be served with crusty bread or garlic bread. There’s just something about the crisp, buttery texture of bread being able to trounce style and taste in the mouth with the creamy consistency of soup.
3. Soup Toppings: Add some shredded cheddar cheese, bacon crumbs, or fresh chopped parsley for added taste and texture.
4. Side Salad: Any one of our light and refreshing side salads or a zesty coleslaw can be a healthy and satisfying accompaniment to your choice of soup for the perfect combination meal.
5. Grilled Sandwich: Enjoy a classic grilled cheese sandwich or a flavorful panini with your favorite bowl of soup for a combination meal that is both comforting and fulfilling.
6. Veggie Garnish: Drizzle the soup with a good olive oil, add a dollop of sour cream, or sprinkle with some freshly ground black pepper to give the bowl that sophisticated look.
The following options for serving only add extra flavors to the already rich, hearty taste of Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup, and make it a pleasant and satiating meal on every occasion.
Storage and Reheating Tips for Storing Leftover Soup
Certainly! Here are some practical storage and reheating tips for leftover Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
1. Let Soup Cool Before Storing It: Allow your leftover soup to cool down to room temperature before putting it away. Moisture produced by the heat will condense on the lid of your storage container and fall back into the food, thus spoiling its flavor and texture.
2. Store in Airtight Containers: Transfer the cooled soup on airtight containers to maintain its freshness and will not hold or absorb other odors from the refrigerator.
3. Label and Date: Okay, you may well label the containers with the date of preparation so as to make sure that you keep record of how long it has stayed in the refrigerator. You will be able to at least know when you prepared it and if it’s still good for consumption.
4. Refrigeration: Refrigerate the airtight containers after cooling and in the coolest part of the refrigerator. One can consume soup within 3-4 days without any issues.
Reheating of Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup
1. Stovetop: To heat soup on a stovetop, spoon the soup into a saucepan set over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Heating the soup slowly from low to high heat prevents scorching or establishing hot spots in the soup.
2. Microwave: Use a microwave-safe bowl, cover it with a microwave-safe lid or vented plastic wrap when microwaving for reheat. Microwave in short heating times and in between intervals of heating, stir to ensure that heat is applied all around.
3. Add Liquid if Necessary: If the soup is too thick after refrigerating, you will want to add a little bit of broth or milk when you reheat it to bring back its original consistency.
4. Temperature Check: Ensure the soups thorough heating so that it is ready at a safe and healthy serving temperature.
5. No Overheating: Do not overheat the soup that all ingredients will separate leaving behind no respective flavor, nutrition, and texture.
Follow these storage and reheating tips that will help you keep the quality and deliciousness of the Subway Broccoli Cheddar soup intact when you opt for it as a leftover meal.
Making Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup at home offers several advantages
1. Cheap Substitute: The home-prepared soup is mostly a cheaper option per serving compared to individual servings in restaurants, considering that one usually makes larger batches for less money per portion. Comparative savings are incurred due to ingredient bulk purchases and the use of pantry staples.
2. Customization: Home cooking allows for total control of the ingredients used as it can be tailored to desired flavors and texture. In preparing the soup, one can customize it in terms of how creamy they want it to be, the amount of cheese, or even adding extra vegetables or seasonings as may appeal to you.
3. Healthier Variants: When the soup is made at home, then the consumption of low sodium broths, low fat dairies and fresher ingredients could be opted with hence make a healthier variant of the soup but without compromising its taste aspect.
4. Quality Ingredients: Fresh quality ingredients like sharp cheddar cheese and fresh broccoli ensure that the soup is of quality, making it healthier and tastier
5. Cooking Experience: Cooking Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup at home helps in experiencing the joy of cooking, which becomes a reason for gaining achievement and experiencing happiness while cooking it perfectly. It tries to taste varieties of spices and ways of cooking to help individuals make a better experience and knowledge of culinary.
This said, if you wish to enjoy all the advantages mentioned above apart from just realizing how tasteful the Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup is in reality, you can cook it at home, following the recipe developed to match your taste and diet prerequisites.
Of course! The following are the common problems that readers may have with making Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup and their solutions:
1. Very Thin or Watery Consistency:
Problem: The soup turned out very thin and not creamy in texture as was expected.
Solution: Thicken it by mixing little cornstarch with cold water and add to the soup as it simmers. Secondly, blend some of the soups and put them back thicker. However, do note not to overpower the soup with the added thickener.
2. Grainy Texture:
Problem: The soup looks grainy or has a poor texture.
Solution: Ensure that the cheese is melted out before adding other ingredients to it. Make use of good quality cheddar cheese which will be of well-aged in order to have excellent melt-ability in it and possessing no grainy texture in it.
3. Very Strong Cheesy Flavor:
Problem: The flavor of cheese is separated and the taste is much more strong and cheesy.
Answer: Adjust the flavors by adding a little more broth or cream for dilution of the cheese. The ratio of the broccoli to other ingredients can also be altered so as to realize the desired balance in taste.
4. Vegetables Overcooked:
Issue: The broccoli and other vegetables are overcooked, resulting in a mushy texture.
Solution: Broccoli can be separately blanched and used in the soup five minutes before serving, as cooking the broccoli along with soup will overcook it. This way it will remain green and still slightly crispy.
5. Seasoning and Corrective Flavors:
Issue: The soup lacks depth of flavor or requires additional seasoning.
Answer: If needed at this stage, the soup should be tasted since salt, pepper or other favorite seasoning can be added in order to balance the flavor more accurately. Furthermore, by the time the soup is simmered for a longer period of time, its flavors may develop themselves more thoroughly.
By eliminating these common problems and using the recommended solutions, readers will be able to pinpoint any possible problems and make Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup successfully.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is broccoli cheddar soup made of?
Broccoli cheddar soup is typically a super creamy and comforting variety of soup that is perfect for the cooler months. It typically comprises fresh broccoli, onion, garlic, butter, flour, chicken or vegetable broth, milk, cream, and lastly, cheddar cheese. To prepare it, the broccoli is boiled until tender and the onion and garlic are gently fried with butter until soft. After that, some flour is added for preparation of roux which will be used to thicken the soup. Slowly pour in the chicken or vegetable broth followed by the milk and cream which indeed makes the soup creamy. Stir in the cheddar cheese until smooth and melted. This makes a filling and luxurious soup that is ideal for a relaxing evening.
How many calories are in Subway broccoli and cheese soup?
Subway broccoli and cheese soup are a tasty treat for those who maintain a healthy and nutritious diet. Broccoli and cheese soup from Subway weighing around 240 grams of serving has an approximate of about 170 calories in it. Has a total of 10g of fat, 12g of carbohydrates, and 8g of proteins. However, it is important to note that this content in calorie and nutrients varies from the one generally provided by a specific recipe used in preparing the soup. Always check the nutrition information from the restaurant or manufacturer if you are concerned with the calorie content in your food.
Is broccoli cheddar soup good or bad for you?
Broccoli cheddar soup was arguably one health choice when prepared properly. Broccoli is rather nutrient-dense on fiber, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. Cheddar is beneficial because of the good energies on the strengths of proteins and calcium contents. However, some recipes may contain a lot of cream, butter, and salt that bring the high content in calories, saturated fat, and sodium to soup.
A healthy version of the broccoli cheddar soup can substitute the cream for low-fat milk or almond milk and also cut back on both cheese and butter. One can further get creative in throwing in other vegetables such as carrots or even cauliflower to up the nutritional ante as well as the fiber content of the soup.
Overall, it can be said that broccoli cheddar soup could be a part of healthy and tasty eating if made moderately with healthy ingredients.
Is Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup healthy?
Broccoli Cheddar soup healthiness is relative, where the term appropriate describes it in context with an individual’s dietary needs and goals. The good nutritional values that it has to offer include broccoli but comes with milk, cream, and cheese heavy on saturated fat and sodium. One appropriate serving with 12 ounces offers 210 calories, 13g fat, 640mg sodium, and 14g protein. It may be one to avoid for those conscientious of calorie or sodium intake, controlling carbs and looking to limit saturated fat intake, but in moderation, it could be one to include in a diet as a source of protein with nutrients from broccoli. Dietary needs and goals should be considered when deciding to include it in one’s diet.
What does broccoli cheddar soup contain?
Cheddar broccoli soup is a rich flavored, smooth thick soup that consists of broccoli florets and stem, cheddar cheese, milk or cream, and some herbs and spices. Usually, this starts with onions and garlic being sautéed to which the steam-sauteed broccoli is added to the pot with chicken or vegetable broth. This is then pureed until smooth thereafter adding grated cheddar cheese to give it a cheesy taste with a blend of milk or cream to reach an even creamier consistency. Herbs, spices, salt, and pepper are used to season it. It’s a perfect hearty and comforting soup for chilly days, and it’s also packed with nutrients from the broccoli.
In conclusion, the article has demonstrated how homemakers prepare Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup as a cost-effective and customized way of enjoying the cuisine. Preparing the soup at home also begets the joy of cooking because users can regulate the ingredients they use while ensuring that generic offerings from vendors do not make them uncomfortable.
Besides, the article gives serving suggestions and troubleshooting information for problems that may be faced during the making of the dish. In this view, readers may revise the information given if they come across a problem to solve, which in return ensures that the Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup prepared is perfect and tasty for consumption.
In conclusion, I urge readers to seize the day and attempt to create Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup for themselves at home. The recipe’s relative simplicity, combined with its savory results and simple adaptability to individual taste preferences, is sure to make it a home cooking favorite. Cooking up this comforting and decadent dish at home will allow a person to savor all of the delicious flavors that go into one bowl of this classic soup, as well as enjoy the restorative art of cooking and the satisfying results.
You may like to read: ” Chick fil A Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe “
Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup RecipeCourse: SoupCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Chicken or Vegetable Broth
Milk or Cream
- Prepare the Ingredients
Gather and prepare all the ingredients, ensuring that the broccoli is washed and cut into small florets, onions and carrots are finely chopped, and the cheddar cheese is grated.
- Sauté the Vegetables
In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and carrots, and sauté until they are softened and fragrant, usually for about 5-7 minutes.
- Create the Roux
Sprinkle the sautéed vegetables with flour, and stir to create a roux. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly, to ensure the flour is well incorporated and doesn’t burn.
- Add the Broth
Gradually pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming. Allow the mixture to come to a gentle boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the Broccoli
Add the broccoli florets to the pot, allowing them to simmer in the broth until they are tender yet still vibrant green, usually for about 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the Mixture
Using an immersion blender or transferring the soup in batches to a blender, puree the soup until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency. Alternatively, you can leave some of the broccoli florets intact for added texture.
- Add the Cheese and Cream
Gradually stir in the grated cheddar cheese, allowing it to melt into the soup and impart its rich and savory flavor. Pour in the milk or cream to achieve the desired level of creaminess, stirring continuously until well combined.
- Season to Taste
Season the soup with salt, pepper, and any additional seasonings to taste. You may also add a pinch of nutmeg for additional depth of flavor.
- Simmer and Serve
Allow the soup to simmer gently for a few more minutes to marry the flavors. Once the soup has reached the desired consistency and all the flavors have melded together, it is ready to be served.
- Following these steps will yield a delicious, velvety Subway Broccoli Cheddar Soup that’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Enjoy!